Make a set of decorators brushes
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
John Cutts helps with the dolls' house decorating with this set of paintbrushes
Make a set of 4 inch, 3 inch, 2 inch and 1inch brushes. These instructions are for the 4 inch paintbrush.
You will need:
Polyester lining fabric
Thin red card
1mm thick card
- The brush bristles are made from polyester lining fabric. Fray one edge so that the loose fibres are about 10mm long.
- Paint on a little PVA glue on both sides, close to the bristles and allow to dry, this should prevent any further fraying.
- Cut a piece of thin card about 25 x 50mm. Score two lines 8mm apart and a further two lines 1mm away.
- Cut two 3mm wide strips of 1mm thick card and position and glue to the thin card leaving a 3mm gap at the end for the bristles.
- Cut the bristles 8mm wide (the unfrayed bit of fabric is 3mm), and glue on several layers of bristles until 1mm thick.
- Fold over the two sides of card and trim off the excess width. Glue and clamp until dry.
- Trim the bristles to 8mm long. Cut the bristle holder to 8mm and cut off two small triangles to form the shoulders.
- With the help of a piece of non-stick backing paper, cut a 6mm wide strip of silver tape (I have used duct tape). Wrap the tape around the brush to form the metal ferrule.
- With a sharp craft knife flatten the two sides of the point of a cocktail stick and glue into the slot in the brush.
- Cut a triangle of PVC tape, wind around the cocktail stick to form a handle. The 'bulge' should be about 1/3 down the handle.
- Trim the handle to length and paint the end of the handle and the shoulders.